Research ContentsPROJECTS > Research Contents
2-2 Self-startup sensor node platform
Topic 1 : Development of low-power sensor and sensor interface
- SeongHwan Cho, KAIST (Electrical Engineering)
- Development of sensor node platform for environmental sensing.
- Design of low-power temperature, humidity, ambient light, and capacitance sensor with hundreds nanowatt power consumption.
- Design of low-power analog reference circuit
- Development of fully integrated CMOS humidity sensor without post-processing
- The humidity sensor can be fabricated with very low-cost because any post-processing step is required
- The humidity sensor can be integrated with low-power analog-to-digital converter
Topic 2 : Development of universal energy harvesting and ultra-low power management platform for miniature smart sensor systems
- Jaeha kim, SNU (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
- Yoonmyung Lee, Sungkyunkwan Univ. (Semiconductor Systems Engineering)
- Designing universal energy harvesting platform that store the harvested energy from various energy harvester such as TEG, Piezo electric, Solar cell to super capacitor or Li-ion battery.
- Developing a power management IP for ultra-low power miniature smart sensors that can expand battery lifetime by energy harvesting and efficient voltage conversion.
- The research of charger circuit which can harvest the energy from various energy sources such as TEG, Piezo-electric and Solar cell
- The designing charger circuit with low power relaxation oscillator, rectifier and boost converter
- The efficient storage and use can be realized by using super-capacitor and Li-ion battery
- Designing sub-100mV 1nW-level energy harvestor
- Designing μW-level DC-DC convertor with variable-ratio for DVS
- Verification of above power management platform with mm-scale sensor
- The universal energy harvesting platform can deliver the energy to any sensor node and also store the harvested energy from any energy source that can act as universal battery.
- By enabling nW level energy harvesting from energy sources with very low output level, energy harvesting from unprecedented sources, such as glucose fuel-cell and indoor photo-voltaic, are expected to be realized. Together with DC-DC conversion for DVFS, these inventions/IPs will realize implementation of energy autonomous miniature smart sensors for various applications, which will create opportunity for technology transfer or IP sales in IoT and miniature sensor market
TOPIC 3 : Wearable High Output Power/Subminiature Power Supply System with Multi-input Energy Harvesting(Kinetic/Piezoelectric/Friction Energy)
- Chulwoo Kim, Korea Univ. (Electrical Engineering)
- Development and Implementation of High Efficient and Stable Power Management System Converting Kinetic/Piezo/Friction Energy to Electric Energy
- Maximum 2mW power with over 1V output voltage is achieved by using intermittent movement of Human armpit, groin and body heat.
- Development and implementation of energy harvesting circuit technology using TENG for the first time in the world.
- Development of multi-input energy harvesting charger (energy combiner)
- Development of an energy combiner harvesting energy from the combined PEG/TENG
- Fully integrating entire system except input/output capacitor
- Long-term monitoring for healthcare service and living body signal check-up for chronic disease
- Feasible value added work by applying our key industries, electronics, as well as wearable devices
- Leading environmentally growth, improvement of the quality of life
- Improvement of self-sufficient resources and the trade balance
TOPIC 4 : Development of a self-sufficient fatigue crack detection wireless sensor node
- Sohn, Hoon, KAIST (Civil & Environmental Engineering)
- Development of an automated real-time fatigue crack detection wireless sensor node
- Development of a low-frequency vibration energy based power supply module
- Field validation and application of the systems
- Development of a self-sufficient fatigue crack detection wireless sensor node using low-frequency vibration energy harvesting
- Satisfaction of the social demand to the civil infrastructure monitoring and cost reduction for maintenance
- Application to various metallic structures such as high speed train, aircraft and offshore crane and etc.